New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Getting a great Horn Section sound???

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I have access to 3 horn players and even when they play their parts I use my synth in that mix.
Latest Song: Windows To Your World
Artist Page Send Message Aug 15, 2010 | 9:23 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
My best horns are in my Korg TR, then second in my Yamaha EX5.

Mike
Artist Page Send Message Aug 16, 2010 | 12:26 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
My only horn is a 1948 Conn 8B
Artist Page Send Message Aug 16, 2010 | 8:33 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Soft sin horns - I swear by them.
Artist Page Send Message Aug 16, 2010 | 12:06 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
This is a recent attempt by me to do a horn section.
It is a cover of the Stevie Wonder track “I Wish” with and without horns. To start with I did the horns all on one track with a “Brass Section” patch, I then split it into 2 trumpet tracks and 2 sax tracks and played over the sax tracks with a real alto sax. In the mix I still used a bit of the original Brass Section track in the way that Groove has suggested. The patches are all from a Yamaha mm6 keyboard.

I Wish – with horns

I Wish – without horns
Artist Page Send Message Aug 18, 2010 | 5:44 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
G_man wrote:
Hi Everyone,
Any tricks in getting a good horn section sound?.... Im a huge Tower of Power fan, and funk and stuff.... and most keyboards ive used all have that same fake sound.....!
Any tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone!
I love this place!

Ok everyone is suggesting libraries . Put a good convolutions reverb on them of a hall or scoring stage. To get a true choir effect delay each player slightly from the other patches just a tiny amount and then they won't sound full and flat
Latest Song: Road to Apocalypse
Artist Page Send Message Aug 18, 2010 | 6:35 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Keys have effects and should have patch layers. The sound is only as good as the speakers that wit relay it. I'm with zincshed on this.
Latest Song: Windows To Your World
Artist Page Send Message Aug 20, 2010 | 4:27 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I use Liquid Horns. No synths or anything.Sax,trombone,flute, and trumpets. Sound as real as real can be. The software that comes with it isnt the greatest but they are real horn recordings so no cheesy synth sounds. I have tons of songs posted on here that uses them.
Artist Page Send Message May 09, 2011 | 4:22 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Horns in Logic can sound ok with some eq tweaking and compressor.. same goes for garageband i think, just pick the ones that sounds closest to the sound you want in the end.. i hardly ever use horns cause it takes a lot of work to make them sound less synthy Wink
Latest Song: the usual
Artist Page Send Message May 09, 2011 | 5:15 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I agree with IROK......very hard to get the sounds right......then there's the actual phrasing....if you don't approach the part you're playing as a brass player would, then it won't sound "real" no matter how good the soundsource is.....when I actually use brass in my tracks I use it sparingly and usually mix it so it plays more of a supportive role as opposed to out front.....with the exception of this track......lol.....was experimenting......

http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=102310
Latest Song: HEART
Artist Page Send Message May 09, 2011 | 11:51 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
i don't know how to explain in words
much what i can do is go with the overall feel of whole track
jazzy, bluesy or ambient loungy etc...
then work on the sound design

however i disagree with most of the above

don't ask me how
but i'll make it sound real good esp in logic
(see logic app can do miracles you control the direction & it simply give you, it grows with you & to your sound desire)

it takes lil more than compressing, tweaking or eq

am a sucker for brass sound & sound in general
Artist Page Send Message May 13, 2011 | 1:40 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
The closest I have come are the Ben Bold pak instruments, which are live sampled and sound great. My track "Undertow" uses the Ben Boldt French Horn and all I did was add some reverb.
Artist Page Send Message May 13, 2011 | 7:08 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Liquid horns work great. I use them alot and you cant tell the difference since they are studio recordings. I dont use a keyboard, sampler, or midi or anything. It comes with its own software even though it kind of sucks. To get a good a horn sound, each instrument needs its own track with individual notes. It lets you control swells, volume, slurs, crescendos, etc. Just like a horn section More info here http://www.bigfishaudio.com/detail.html?1338

Not plugging or anything but here are just a few recordings
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=161880
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=155191
http://www.icompositions.com/music/song.php?sid=159345
Artist Page Send Message May 13, 2011 | 7:35 pm
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2
Advertisement