Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Working with Audio Region

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Here is a question: is there any way to work with the Audio Region in more detail, such as I have seen in studio recordings - I mean, adjust those waves, even work with individual notes?
Latest Song: Loser's Blues
Artist Page Send Message Jul 16, 2011 | 11:19 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
What application are you using?

I'm afraid, more information is required, before anyone can offer any assistance.
Latest Song: What You Did on iComp
Artist Page Send Message Jul 16, 2011 | 11:28 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I am using Garage Band, and am referring to the track editor, the bottom half of the screen under the actual tracks - It shows the wave for each track, and I am wondering is there is way to work on the crests and lows of that wave, even fixing individual notes
Artist Page Send Message Jul 16, 2011 | 11:33 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I dont have the latest version of garageband but the last time I checked I dont think you can other than feed it through an autotune or change the tempo a bit. In logic pro, theres flextune that can help you adjust the tempo without changing the pitch & without causing distortion. you can add a plug in like, melodyne, that does pitching shifting or correction rather seamlessly. it'll make vocals (for example,) sound like a Glee episode Smile
Latest Song: Maniac (demo/study)
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 1:17 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
tubinshlak wrote:
I am using Garage Band, .......and I am wondering is there is way to work on the crests and lows of that wave, even fixing individual notes

Yes,
what do you think you want to do?
The first step is almost always to select the scope of your fix/operation.
You may do that by chopping up audio track and select the note in question. ( The most efficient operation is usually to delete; less is more; Smile)
Latest Song: 1-7(Apenas Um Jogo)
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 2:43 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Yes, I know about deleting - What I am talking about is, when, for example, a note crests too high, you can actually lower the crest - Or correcting a note that is a little off, that type of thing
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 3:28 pm

Reply with quoteReport
I've not used this, though I've been very tempted to purchase it for several years now -- Melodyne studio by celemony (as C_Man suggests). There may be other apps out there that do this sort of thing and this one seems to be the cat's meow, from the vids and examples I've seen. Besides giving the ability to shift most any instrument's audio wave, including human voices, it can separate the individual notes in a chord played on a guitar (or any other multi-noted instrument) and allows shifting of those notes in any direction, up, down, forward, and back. Pretty fantastic to be able to do when a performance is spot on except for that one or two note miss. Or just to be able to explore what a song would sound like if this or that part changed, etc., and not to have to re-record it, especially if the players have gone home for the night.

In looking at Melodyne's system requirements, I'm not sure it can be used as a plug-in with GarageBand. Logic is listed. It might be able to be used as a stand-alone, though.
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 4:26 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks, some food for thought - You are using Logic, right? - How does it compare with Garage Band?
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 4:39 pm

Reply with quoteReport
hmmm ... GarageBand compared to Logic ... that's a whole 'nuther subject. Smile I used GB for several many years, after I realized it isn't the "kid's app" that I originally thought it was. While GB is a wonderful entry level DAW, with which one can do some pretty amazing work, I was extremely pleased with Logic once I made the move and dove into its powerful features. Like with all apps, there is a learning curve to go through until a certain level of comfort is reached. And, of course, I'm still learning the depths of the DAW.

I had begun with ProTools years ago (before GB) and, for my needs, found PT to be very lacking in MIDI support at that time. GB satisfied my home-production-style just fine, until I finally gave Logic a try. With Logic I can record live productions and I can mess around with MIDI stuff. Most all the 3rd party plug-in makers include Logic in their support, plus Logic comes packaged with some excellent plug-ins already installed. All-in-all, I'm very happy with Logic.

I'm glad that Apple chose to include Logic's little brother GarageBand on their machines, for that opens the door to massive amounts of creativity for folks to easily experience. Then they can choose to move up to Logic at their own pace, if they desire. For $200, one can purchase Logic Express, to get started. And then later for another $200, upgrade to Logic Pro Studio. That is how I made the transition.
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 5:51 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Ok, thanks for your thorough and informative reply - I will definitely look into this
Artist Page Send Message Jul 17, 2011 | 6:02 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Stopped by to see what was to be said concerning the forum topic and found it informative, becwil, thanks for your experiences with the various DAWs since occasionally one wonders if or when they should move on to other things. For myself, I'll probably be on GB for awhile although it's good to know what's available out there. Smile
Latest Song: The Trail of Tears
Artist Page Send Message Oct 14, 2011 | 9:34 pm
Advertisement