Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » AUGraphicEQ and Visual EQ

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi, what is the difference and/or relationship between these two EQing systems? Are you supposed to use both, is that not recommended, is it just redundant if you use both? What are the basics in using these tools?

Thanks, JB
Latest Song: Pieces and Tears Collab
Artist Page Send Message Feb 27, 2012 | 5:15 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-27-12 / USA!

@ BigJim:

EQ is EQ.

AUGgraphic is just a term. It can be either hardware or software (VST). But in DAW, it's visual representation is based on real world multi-band graphic EQ's:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Aug+Graphic+Eq&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=bWp&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsa&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=4ANMT4LnCoa80QGopOSrDg&ved=0CDMQsAQ&biw=1016&bih=610

GarageBand claims that Visual EQ lets you use your eyes instead of your ears. A pretty unwise (and stupid) declaration to the uninitiated. I doubt that when he is in his own personal studio, Stevie Wonder would agree with any of that.

Look. Just watch the guy on this clip show you (and everyone) what graphic EQ is really all about once and for all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O6pi7vnSyc

If I showed you a gun visually would you mistake it for an orange?

Now, if I blindfolded you and said, "Here. I want you taste this excellent orange
(I really have a loaded gun instead without your knowledge)." As you reach for the supposed orange, I hold the gun safely over my head (away from you) and squeeze the trigger and the entire room goes "BANG!"

#1. What did you see?
#2. What did you hear?

So much for oranges, blindfolds and loaded guns.

Think about that as you watch the clip.

BoOm!

MH~
Surprised
Artist Page Send Message Feb 27, 2012 | 6:50 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Interesting. So, do you use the "Smiley face" as an EQ template? And, do you use both types of EQ or only one at a time? Sounds like you dismiss the Visual EQ in favor of the GraphicEQ...true? Furthermore, is there a glossary of terms related to Garageband to describe what the myriad of functions in the master track audio unit edit section specifically do? Thanks, but inquiring minds want to know....
Artist Page Send Message Feb 27, 2012 | 7:06 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
BigJimSlade wrote:
Interesting. So, do you use the "Smiley face" as an EQ template? And, do you use both types of EQ or only one at a time? Sounds like you dismiss the Visual EQ in favor of the GraphicEQ...true? Furthermore, is there a glossary of terms related to Garageband to describe what the myriad of functions in the master track audio unit edit section specifically do? Thanks, but inquiring minds want to know....

BigJim:

The "Smiley Face" term represents the entire spectrum of sound the human ear can hear and finds acceptable.

> Left corner of the smile is the low ranges.
> Middle of smile is the mid ranges.
> Right corner of the smile is the high ranges.

Through trial, error and practice you learn to adjust each band area slightly...as you "Listen."

That's the best I can tell you regarding Graphic EQ.

In DAW, a VST EQ will do exactly the same thing. But, it is still based on the actual real world / hardware multi-band graphic equalizer unit.

You can use either a/o both. It just depends on understanding and knowing the result that you want based on developed experience.

But, graphic EQ is just one part of the graphic band process. There are other counter parts to Graphic EQ you also need to know about.

For example:

in my studio I have several rack mounted Graphic Equalizers. Most are Stereo Graphic EQ's. Others are single channel EQ's.

But, I also have and use "other kinds" of equalizers that are "not graphic" at all such as:

Parametric (Knob Sweeping) EQ:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaIvzbV40MM

Paragraphic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNEzptHk2kk

(These are VST examples I picked as random clips for you)

MH~
Geek
Artist Page Send Message Feb 27, 2012 | 7:42 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Visual eq's or aids are important and have nothing to do with how stevie wonder records he has an engineer looking and using the same visual aids. To ignore ears or your eyes would be unwise ("stupid").
First of all most if not all hardware or software has some type of visual aid, including what was linked. The Eq visual aid is important for several reasons, the first and main one is that there are frequencies we can't hear that will effect your mix from too muddy to boomy to airy etc. There is also a such thing as balance in your mix as well as when your ears deceive you, which happen more than you think especially if you 're not in a treated room or have listening devices that color the sound. Plus they help you identify problem areas a lot quicker and you can verify what frequencies to cut on other instruments in the same area. You were born with more than one sense so use as many as you can. The only time you over ride one over the other is when it seems right for your goal. But if your goal is a well balanced and great sounding mix you use everything you can.
There are multimeter plug-ins that lets you see the eq from below 31 to above 16k while also being able to see correlation level, as well as the db level and the goniometer. All of these can help assist your ears in mixing a well developed, leveled, balanced, good sounding mix in any system.
Moses
Latest Song: She's Gone
Artist Page Send Message Feb 27, 2012 | 8:02 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
My room is untreated. So, it is OK to use both types of EQ on a song? I mean there is no overkill/redundancy issues/one type-cancels-out-another situation? I need all the help I can get, EQ-wise. Thanks.
Artist Page Send Message Feb 28, 2012 | 9:23 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
BigJimSlade wrote:
My room is untreated. So, it is OK to use both types of EQ on a song? I mean there is no overkill/redundancy issues/one type-cancels-out-another situation? I need all the help I can get, EQ-wise. Thanks.

Yes that is my point exactly... use your eyes and ears it can't hurt but it can help. The visual just gives you the picture of what your ears are or are not hearing. And because a lot of us are sitting in our home studios, some untreated, using headphones or speakers, even monitors that don't give a true flat sound, our mixes can be off, compared to the pros. But there are some guidelines if you know the specs and can see the graphics of what your sound is doing, you can get closer or at least a start to a well mixed sound. There are plenty of links and threads here some by alanatomic who also does "the cube" show as well as Eidolonia who goes into great detail about several mixing topics, you'd just have to put them in the search engine here. There are many others that I'm leaving out but as I said if you put what you are looking for in the search area something should pop up. And realize all of us may have different opinions so it's always best to try different things and go with what works best for you.
Moses
Latest Song: She's Gone
Artist Page Send Message Feb 28, 2012 | 12:46 pm
Advertisement