Forums » Lounge » RIP Chris Cornell

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Today it was announced that singer/songwriter Chris Cornell has died, aged 52...

Cornell was one of the artists who made me want to write songs and be in a band. The Soundgarden album, Superunknown had a profound effect on me on first listen and inspired me to make music.

Cornell was known for his truly awesome, soaring voice which ranged from low guttural noises to high pitched wails and screams. His lyrics had a distinct way of invading your personal thoughts and resonating with your feelings. His music is firmly stamped across so many memories of my teenage years until this day and beyond.

He used his talents in many bands, the main ones being Soundgarden, Temple Of The Dog, Audioslave as well as having a very successful solo career.

If you don't know much of his music, take some time today to go and check out one of the bands above or his solo material, I promise you won't be disappointed.

RIP Chris Cornell 1965-2017
Latest Song: Tear It Down Collab
Artist Page Send Message May 18, 2017 | 7:58 am

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks for posting this Ian. Was hard to see this news this morning.
Artist Page Send Message May 18, 2017 | 8:17 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
To be honest Elaine, I struggle with the way some react over celebrity deaths, acting like they knew them personally and behaving as if the tragedy is theirs and theirs alone... Don't get me wrong, any death of an idol or well loved celebrity is always sad, just as the death of any human being is sad for the most part...

But this for me is the worst I have felt over a celebrity death. I never met the man, yet he influenced my life in ways I never thought possible. I saw him live on several occasions and each time was awed by his stage presence and talents. If it weren't for Soundgarden's "Superunknown" and Pearl Jam's "Ten" i would probably have never posted a song on iComp, as I would never have been inspired to write music at all...

It is a very strange feeling!
Latest Song: Tear It Down Collab
Artist Page Send Message May 18, 2017 | 8:44 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Another terrific artist and musician gone. RIP.
Latest Song: We Really Do Care
Artist Page Send Message May 18, 2017 | 1:38 pm
Administrator

Reply with quoteReport
Rock In Peace
Artist Page Send Message May 18, 2017 | 1:42 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Sadder than the loss of Chris Cornell, a true talent, is the now suffering and anguished family and friends and commitments and fans he abandoned and left behind the night he decided to bail out and play the poor misunderstood rock star star schtick. Reasons to commit suicide: I am homeless, unloved and just found out I have cancer. Reasons to not commit suicide: I am worth 60 to 70 million dollars and have a wife and two wonderful daughters who look up to me and front two successful rock bands, am adored and worshipped by a few million people and employ dozens of people who depend on me to behave responsibly. I really thought Cornell was above all that melodramatic, pretentious, no one understands the real me tortured Seattle rockstar BS. Guess not. Really disappointed myself. And drugs like Ativan do not kill people who 1) do not take them and 2) take them the way they are prescribed and not mixed with other drugs. Just died a druggie. Great.
Artist Page Send Message May 22, 2017 | 6:31 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
arctictransmissions wrote:
Sadder than the loss of Chris Cornell, a true talent, is the now suffering and anguished family and friends and commitments and fans he abandoned and left behind the night he decided to bail out and play the poor misunderstood rock star star schtick. Reasons to commit suicide: I am homeless, unloved and just found out I have cancer. Reasons to not commit suicide: I am worth 60 to 70 million dollars and have a wife and two wonderful daughters who look up to me and front two successful rock bands, am adored and worshipped by a few million people and employ dozens of people who depend on me to behave responsibly. I really thought Cornell was above all that melodramatic, pretentious, no one understands the real me tortured Seattle rockstar BS. Guess not. Really disappointed myself. And drugs like Ativan do not kill people who 1) do not take them and 2) take them the way they are prescribed and not mixed with other drugs. Just died a druggie. Great.

I think you're unfairly characterizing things here. It doesn't matter if a person is living on the streets or if they have millions of dollars in the bank, a family and are famous if they have longstanding mental or emotional issues. I think it's been fairly well documented that many performers (including actors, comedians and musicians) often have some form of depression, suicidal thoughts, or similar issues they deal with every single day. A perfectly "healthy" person wouldn't be driven to do what they do seeking recognition. I'm confident a number of folks here occasionally deal with the same concerns.
Latest Song: We Really Do Care
Artist Page Send Message May 24, 2017 | 4:07 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Ditto that, @Neumuzik.
Latest Song: Traveler of the Dunes Collab
Artist Page Send Message May 30, 2017 | 2:23 pm
Advertisement