Forums » iPad Music Making » Favorite Apps for Making Music or Recording

Poll: What do you use most often to create or record your music?
Desktop computer (macOS or Windows)
75%
 75%  [ 3 ]
Laptop computer (macOS or Windows)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
iPad Pro
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
iPad
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
iPhone
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thought I'd start a thread so people could list their favorite apps since the world of virtual music creation and the world of real instruments has begun to blur somewhat.

Recording:
Garageband for iPad remains my favorite way to get ideas down, work with arrangements, lay down backing instruments, find new methods of getting sound into music and so on.

Instruments:
I used to play the violin for years and just found what may be my favorite stringed instrument simulator. I cannot call this app a stringed instrument synthesizer, because it uses real-world "physical instrument modeling" to create the sounds. It is called "FingerFiddle" (web site: http://www.fingerfiddleapp.com ) and it is truly remarkable to me. It is as responsive to finger movement as an actual real-world instrument, right down to the tooth of the bow on the strings sounding different depending on how and where one bows the strings. I recommend playing it vertically on an iPad Pro (but it also works all the way down to an iPhone sized device). Amazing app that I highly recommend. It isn't a cheap app (relatively speaking), since I consider it a professional quality instrument it's priced accordingly. You get a cello for the basic paid app, then for additional money, you can get a full quartet or extra individual instruments.
Latest Song: Innit
Artist Page Send Message Apr 28, 2017 | 3:43 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
had Cubase, then Pro tools (illogic), then Logic 8 (it's logic but outdated) Now Garageband. I've had over 30 drumkits, now I just do guitar & bass when I record.. Looking for a cheap Roland kit or some decent drums with midi out for recording at home. I use a mid 2010 27" iMac.(which can take 32 GB ram)
Latest Song: meta 120
Artist Page Send Message Apr 28, 2017 | 11:17 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
irok wrote:
had Cubase, then Pro tools (illogic), then Logic 8 (it's logic but outdated) Now Garageband. I've had over 30 drumkits, now I just do guitar & bass when I record.. Looking for a cheap Roland kit or some decent drums with midi out for recording at home. I use a mid 2010 27" iMac.(which can take 32 GB ram)

You've owned more than 30 actual drum kits? That is awesome. Nothing beats the feel of playing on a real set.
Artist Page Send Message Apr 28, 2017 | 11:57 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
It's DP for me then Mixbuss Then Pro Tools then Logic then Reason
I did just break down and got a very nice Windows PC so maybe I'll try Fruity or Cubase and see.
Artist Page Send Message May 28, 2017 | 3:36 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
alanatomic wrote:
It's DP for me then Mixbuss Then Pro Tools then Logic then Reason
I did just break down and got a very nice Windows PC so maybe I'll try Fruity or Cubase and see.

Was it a desktop or a laptop Windows PC? Do you prefer to have something mobile for location recording?
Artist Page Send Message May 28, 2017 | 5:07 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hardware: Mac Mini with a 1T SSD (solid state drive) and expanded memory (16 GB on the chip) running OSX El Capitan (Version 10.11.6) - processor: 3GHz Intel Core i7. I have it plugged in to my 52 inch Toshiba TSB TV with Dolby speakers built in. An MXL USB.006 mic for input and an Akai MPK mini keyboard controller (sometimes also a Novation Launchpad Mini).

Software: GarageBand and Logic Pro X, Spectronics Omnisphere, EastWest's Hollywood Brass, RA, Symphonic Choirs, Goliath, Silk, Stormdrum 2, Symphonic Orchestra, Ministry of Rock, Gypsy, and Hypnotica. I also use SoundConverter and Audacity, as well as an old version of SoundSoap, for routine tasks. I love the Bolder Sounds instruments I've got.

Real musical instruments: My voice, My mind, an alto recorder, a weird digital guitar, "mungiga" (blues harp...?), soprano and sopranino recorders, erhu (Chinese violin), Percussion Stick (makes the sound of the ocean or sand moving or...), Del Rio Mini Sax, other handmade instruments when I have access to them.
Latest Song: Traveler of the Dunes Collab
Artist Page Send Message May 30, 2017 | 2:50 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
My fav apps are Fruity, Cool Edit, Logic, Audacity, and Omnisphere... oh, and NanoStudio
Latest Song: Atarwiu
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2017 | 10:46 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Fascinating reading the variety of instruments and solutions we have for getting our ideas down and to finesse the recorded material. 😃
Artist Page Send Message Jun 06, 2017 | 10:09 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Incidentally, for those of us who use GarageBand in macOS, yesterday saw a software update from Apple that includes a terrific new addition to the Drummers tools within the application.

You can now create independently controllable Latin percussion tracks! This is a very exciting addition and will mean less time spent trying to get pre-recorded samples to work with other tracks. I've already revisited a number of my older recordings and can confirm that this added level of control is going to make creating more intelligent accompaniment much easier.
Artist Page Send Message Jun 06, 2017 | 1:54 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Currently using MuLab, but after a frustrating afternoon spent trying to figure out how to apply pitch modulation to MuSynth and concluding that it basically doesn't support it, and having found precisely zero useful documentation on MuLab, I'm thinking about jumping ship to FL Studio... If there are any other MuLab users out there who might throw me a bone, please shout.
Artist Page Send Message Jun 11, 2017 | 4:05 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
eido wrote:
Currently using MuLab, but after a frustrating afternoon spent trying to figure out how to apply pitch modulation to MuSynth and concluding that it basically doesn't support it, and having found precisely zero useful documentation on MuLab, I'm thinking about jumping ship to FL Studio... If there are any other MuLab users out there who might throw me a bone, please shout.

Speaking for myself, I'm not familiar with that software. There are links to online manuals, but you've probably already tried those, right?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=%22mulab%22+user+manual&t=iphone&ia=web
Artist Page Send Message Jun 17, 2017 | 11:22 am

Reply with quoteReport
@Neumuzik, I see that you use DuckDuckGo, too. Nice! Very Happy)
Latest Song: Dance Instead (CTT)
Artist Page Send Message Jun 17, 2017 | 2:14 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
becwil wrote:
@Neumuzik, I see that you use DuckDuckGo, too. Nice! Very Happy)

It's the only way to go!
Artist Page Send Message Jun 18, 2017 | 12:51 am

Reply with quoteReport
@Neumuzik: Oh, the docs do exist, they're just not useful. Smile They're not very well organised or sorted (generally you need to know that something exists before you have any chance of finding docs on it, so it's hard to ask questions like 'Can I do xyz in MuLab?'), and a lot of time the docs really just tell you what's obvious from the user interface anyway. I learnt a lot more from the small number of MuLab tutorials that are on YouTube, but again these have no voiceover and the version of MuLab being used varies a lot, so sometimes it's hard to find the equivalent feature in MuLab 7 which was being demoed in MuLab 6.

The biggest killer for me at the moment is that, unlike in Logic, you can only change the volume of one channel at once. So if I have two instruments panned left and right and I want to reduce them both by the same amount, that's two very delicate operations rather than just selecting both and yanking the volume around. When you want to bring down a whole group (e.g. all seven instruments in one section of a song, because your verse has wound up louder than your chorus), it's even worse. To make matters worse you spend a LOT of time tweaking volume in MuLab because by default pretty much every synth patch runs SUPER hot - it's very common for a standard preset to be clipping straight out of the box, and even if it isn't, as soon as you have two synths playing side by side you'll be clipping the output bus. I've been thinking seriously about editing every default patch in MuLab to take about 8dB off it just so I have some headroom.
Artist Page Send Message Jun 18, 2017 | 4:50 am
Advertisement