Forums » GarageBand Central » sending garage band files

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
hi ...

Does anyone know whether its possible to send raw garage band files via email

When I put them on my fire stick and try to accesss them on a ibm platform the garage band icon turns in to file folders which arent accessible and on a mac platform they turn grey and arent accessible

Blown my grey matter and ....garageband help doesnt provide a solution

... I want to send raw files to another
artist for collaboration not itune mp3
so the individual layers are available...
Latest Song: Happy new year
Artist Page Send Message Nov 06, 2008 | 11:16 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Yes, you can send .band files. The receiver needs to have the same GB version as you, plus have any extra (non-GB) plug-ins (instruments, effects, etc) that you have used in your file.
Artist Page Send Message Nov 06, 2008 | 11:50 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
And don't try to send by email. It will be way too big. There are many free services that allow you to upload large files (yousendit, sendspace, and others).
Latest Song: Happy despite it all
Artist Page Send Message Nov 06, 2008 | 11:56 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi,

.band + accessible = GB

Alternative solutions might read as..

individual track > itunes > aif, lossless etc > other artist > GB > sky is the limit.

Or..

individual track > pc compatible, specific editor etc > file > other artist > whatever you want to do.

Good luck!
By the way, like your music rogerboreham!
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 12:29 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
maybe I didnt understand you correctly but if I think I did...then I'd say try to compress the GB file with a different compressor!!
because I had that particular issue once..
if thats not the case then maybe try and look at the GB settings..maybe you you forgot a subtle little change in there somewhere!!..
Latest Song: Catching Cloud
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 1:06 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Right, these days you should be careful about moving GB files between media without first making an archive of it. - Control click the file in the Finder and select the pop-up menu option 'Create archive of XX'. It will create a .zip file.

Moving a GB file from your hard disk to a memory stick may corrupt your GB project if you dont archive it first. ( It always gets corrupted with 24 bit audio recordings for me if I put it directly on a flash stick ) You should consider this a bug.( imo it is not likely to be fixed, but we can hope.)
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 2:20 am

Reply with quoteReport
rogerboreham wrote:
Does anyone know whether its possible to send raw garage band files via email

Yes it is, although depending on exactly what you're trying to do you might have to fiddle around a bit to get it to work, as you're discovering! It's all a bit complicated, so I'll try to lay it out in steps.

What do you actually want to send?

Before we go any further, it's worth making sure that you actually do want to send the GarageBand project rather than individual recordings or something else. If the person you're sending it to has the same version of GarageBand as you, that's great. If they have a newer version of GarageBand, or a version of Logic which is the same age or newer (so Logic 7 or 8 for GarageBand 3, or Logic 8 for GarageBand '0Cool, they'll be able to open it and play around with it, but they won't be able to send it back to you.

If, after reading that, you're sure you want to send a GarageBand project, read on. Otherwise, skip down to the 'Actually, I don't want to send a GarageBand project' section below.

Yes, I want to send a GarageBand project.

First, it helps to understand what a 'GarageBand file' actually is.

When you look in Finder on a Mac at a GarageBand project called MyAwesomeSong, what you'll probably see is a single 'file' either called MyAwesomeSong or MyAwesomeSong.band, depending on whether or not you have Finder set up to show filename extensions. However, Finder is lying to you -- MyAwesomeSong.band isn't actually a file at all; it's a folder containing dozens or hundreds of subfolders and files. But to make life easy and keep everything together, Mac OS X collects all of this stuff into a single 'file', so you can move the .band project around on your Mac without worrying about your files going astray.

This has two important implications. The first is that you can't just attach a .band project to an email, because it isn't a single file -- it's lots of files, but Finder generally won't show you the truth so you can't get at the real files directly. The second is that you have to be very careful about copying .band projects off your Mac, because if the delicate internal structure of the project somehow gets broken then your .band project won't open correctly in GarageBand, and you're stuffed.

The solution to both of these problems is to create a single .zip file containing the whole .band project before you do anything else. Do this as follows:

1. Locate your project (MyAwesomeSong.band) in Finder.
2. Hold down Ctrl and click on the project (or right-click on the project if you have a two-button mouse).
3. Select 'Create Archive Of "MyAwesomeSong"' from the menu that appears.

You should find that a file named MyAwesomeSong.zip is created (it might take a few seconds if the GarageBand project is big). This file is what you're going to share. Now skip down to 'Okay, so I have a .zip file. How do I send huge files to people?' below.

Actually, I don't want to send a GarageBand project.

In that case, you presumably want a way to extract each of the individual instruments from your GarageBand project, bundle them all up and send them. Luckily, that's easy, although it's pretty tedious in GarageBand 3 because it involves iTunes.

GarageBand 3
1. Open GarageBand.
2. Solo the first of your tracks. (Click the headphones icon on the track header so that only that track plays.)
3. Select Share->Send Song to iTunes.
4. Open Finder and navigate to Music->iTunes->iTunes Music. In here you should find a subfolder corresponding to your GarageBand projects -- I think the default is called something like 'GarageBand projects', although if you've changed it then you'll have to look in GarageBand settings to find out what it is (GarageBand->Preferences->General and look at Composer Name and Album Name).
5. You should find that you've now created a .aif file called 'MyAwesomeSong.aif', or whatever your project is called. Rename it to reflect the name of your first instrument track (e.g. rename it to 'RhythmGuitar1.aif' if the track you just exported was your first rhythm guitar).
6. Unsolo the first track, solo the second track, and go back to step 3. Repeat until you've created .aif files for all of your tracks.
7. Now, in Finder, highlight all of the .aif files you've just created. Hold down Ctrl and click on them, or right-click if you have a two-button mouse, and select 'Create Archive of 25 items', or however many items it says. This will create a file called 'Archive.zip', and that's the file you're going to share.

GarageBand '08
1. Open GarageBand.
2. Solo the first of your tracks. (Click the headphones icon on the track header so that only that track plays.)
3. Select Share->Export Song to Disk.
4. Make sure the 'Compress' box is not ticked.
5. Hit OK, and you'll create a .aif file. Give it a sensible name if you can (e.g. RhythmGuitar1.aif if it corresponds to your first rhythm guitar track); if not, rename it in Finder after creating it.
6. Unsolo the first track, solo the second track, and repeat until done.
7. Now, in Finder, highlight all of the .aif files you've just created. Hold down Ctrl and click on them, or right-click if you have a two-button mouse, and select 'Create Archive of 25 items', or however many items it says. This will create a file called 'Archive.zip', and that's the file you're going to share.

Okay, so I have a .zip file. How do I send huge files to people?

You're welcome to try attaching it to an email, but you're very likely to find that your file is too big to attach. Even if your email provider will send it, your collaborator's email provider probably won't accept it.

Instead, you can use one of the many free internet-based services for transferring large files:

www.megaupload.com
www.rapidshare.com
www.yousendit.com

Each one of these services works a little differently, but basically you give it the .zip file you've just created and upload it, then you're given a URL; anyone who goes to that URL will be able to download your .zip file, so all you need to do is paste the URL into an email or private message and send it to your collaborator.

Good luck!

-Eido
Latest Song: [LiesToChildren] Road Collab
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 6:29 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
yes, GB projects seem to be a special kind of folder - as Xolx says, make a Zip or Stuffit archive of the project and send/transprt that compressed version.

for example if you try Yousendit.com and choose to attach a GB "project" it will not work - but the Zipped version will. it'll be smaller, too.
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 6:30 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Eidolonia wrote:

-- MyAwesomeSong.band isn't actually a file at all; <snip>..
Mac OS X collects all of this stuff into a single 'file', so you can move the .band project around on your Mac without worrying about your files going astray.

-Eido

Just to restate, what Eido describes in the quote is how it _should have been. But due to a defect/bug/retarded programmer you can not move these .band files freely around on your Mac. Moving a GB .band file on and off of a flash stick will leave a 24 bit audio GB project corrupted. (I consider that as moving it around on your mac when the flash is mounted. )
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 8:32 am

Reply with quoteReport
Xolv wrote:
Eidolonia wrote:

-- MyAwesomeSong.band isn't actually a file at all; <snip>..
Mac OS X collects all of this stuff into a single 'file', so you can move the .band project around on your Mac without worrying about your files going astray.

-Eido

Just to restate, what Eido describes in the quote is how it _should have been. But due to a defect/bug/retarded programmer you can not move these .band files freely around on your Mac. Moving a GB .band file on and off of a flash stick will leave a 24 bit audio GB project corrupted. (I consider that as moving it around on your mac when the flash is mounted. )

(Emphasis mine.)

I don't. External media is, well, external. Smile

But yes, Xolv is quite right -- you shouldn't expect to move a .band project to external media such as a USB stick and back again and still have it work. Zip it up first.

-Eido
Latest Song: [LiesToChildren] Road Collab
Artist Page Send Message Nov 07, 2008 | 9:37 am
Advertisement