New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Guitar needs METAL sound

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
It's been a while since I set up my tone but I have a custom guitar option saved in GB labeled "metal guitar" and every song I have posted on this site I've ran my guitar straight through GB w/ no external amps or distortion pedals. I think I used the american clean, rectified or something like that and just tweaked the gain and the EQ until it sounded right. I use an ESP w/ active EMG pick ups in it as well.

My point is that you can get a good metal tone out of GB, you just need to do some experimenting until you get a tone you like.
Latest Song: The Hard Truth
Artist Page Send Message Jun 10, 2009 | 12:22 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
You can try Drop C which has an aggressive sound. Boss pedals also help too.
Artist Page Send Message Jul 01, 2009 | 4:59 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
forget drop C unless you want uber flap and have thick strings

American Gain standard Garageband amp
I use as little gain as possible (around 3-4) I use no distortion effects (adds too much mud)
crank bass and treble as high as your tastes and guitar tone allow... presence around 7

also I recommend layered recordings in stereo (multiple tracks that cover the stereo spectrum)
Latest Song: James Bond Theme
Artist Page Send Message Jul 01, 2009 | 9:20 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Part of what you're looking for has to do with the bass as well. Often in heavy music what people don't realize is that the tone that they hear and attribute to the guitar tone is heavily influenced by the bass tone that is playing along with it. This is especially true when both instruments are playing the same line for that really heavy sound.
Latest Song: Fizzle Out (4)
Artist Page Send Message Aug 26, 2012 | 11:36 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
There are a number of pedals similar to the pod that interface directly with garage band. I've used a Digitech RP-500 as well as a Zoom multi-effects pedal with good results with a variety of sounds. I also use a trial version of Studio Devil, but that may not be best for death metal. The full version may be but it does sound great!
Latest Song: You Got Me Walkin'
Artist Page Send Message Jul 19, 2013 | 9:49 pm
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2
Advertisement