Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Group mutliple tracks

Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Does anybody have an idea, how to group tracks in GaraBand, or is this feature not in yet?
I have four background voices tracks and 4 tracks for the drum set, how can I most comfortably apply the same effects on all four, or how can I set all four to one volume stage without having pulling at each track separately?
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 2:41 pm

Reply with quoteReport
I don't think GB has a Group Tracks feature. I did discover when I was using GB4 (perhaps the earlier versions have this too) that by double clicking in the track's header, lower portion, all the volume adjustment points would activate collectively. That, at least helps in the whole track's sweep of volume changes.
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 2:59 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
and to add to becca brilliant idea, you can then hi-lite the entire volume automation from one track and then paste to as many tracks as needed. She so smart Wink
TC
Latest Song: Damnded demo unmix
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 3:09 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Smile Thanks, Tom...you smarter, though! Very Happy
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 3:35 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Also to add to TC comment ( who is very smart as well)... you can adjust one track to your desired volume and then just duplicate track and move the waves... I tried a lot of combinations and could not group the tracks. The automation is really cool though and if you click the add automation you can adjust the eq and reverb...
Moses
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 3:38 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
alanatomic wrote:
and to add to becca brilliant idea, you can then hi-lite the entire volume automation from one track and then paste to as many tracks as needed.

I was not aware of that in GB. That is brilliant!
Latest Song: Katrina
Artist Page Send Message Sep 18, 2008 | 5:59 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Hey guys, actually this already helps a lot thanks for all your help on this. just tried your tips out.
THANKS
Ralf
Artist Page Send Message Sep 20, 2008 | 6:48 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
just set the effects you want on one of the tracks and click Save Instrument. then open each of the other 3 tracks in Inspector and click your custom instrument and all the effects will copy
Latest Song: Dusty
Artist Page Send Message Oct 03, 2008 | 3:41 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi..
turn on monitoring for the drum tracks. If you are already at 0 or above for the master volume and there is any peaking solo the vocals and make sure individual tracks are at linear zero. Try using a slight delay on one v s track.
Have fun!
Latest Song: Go Farther Together
Artist Page Send Message Feb 18, 2010 | 7:40 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
even though its been sorted now, your talking about a send track arent you? - i dont use garageband so i dont know if you get those in your mixer, but in fl studio its where you basically:

stop your seperate mixer tracks going directly to master output but instead bypass them through a send track, for extra processing

Non send = Input > Track > Master
Send = Input > Track > Send > Master

im bound to be completely wrong but thats how i work it out Smile
Artist Page Send Message Feb 18, 2010 | 8:00 pm
Advertisement