Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Using synth plugins.

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Please excuse my ignorance, as i am just starting out and I have very little knowledge of virtual instruments.

Can someone please explain to me how to utilize a synth plugin in GB. Do i need to buy a MIDI keyboard, or can i use GB's musical typing? Also, can i run GB''s loops through a synth plugin to get some new sounds?

Also, do you know of any free downloadable synths that also feature musical typing which could be used instead of GB's musical typing?
Latest Song: Where U At
Artist Page Send Message Jun 21, 2007 | 4:16 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
A synth plugin can be thought of as an extension of the software (GB) that it's plugging into.

You do not need any additional hardware. And yes, you can run GB loops through them. You get stuff into the plugin through GB so you're stuck typing.

You can find downloadable synths at http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/. Typically, you install the .component into Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components

Next time you start GB, create a new software instrument track. Select any instrument. Click info, click Details, notice the Generator:
That's a menu thingy on which you'll find your new plugin
Then click the pencil button on the right.
That'll popup whatever GUI is associated with that plugin.

A couple fun soft synth to check out are crystal and automat.
Latest Song: End of Summer
Artist Page Send Message Jun 21, 2007 | 3:38 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks so much for the info, 13xh2k!
Just to show you how ignorant i am of things, i thought synthesizers were just high tech keyboards.
It wasn't until i looked into these plugins, that i realized what they do.
Latest Song: Where U At
Artist Page Send Message Jun 22, 2007 | 2:42 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
The orchestral jam pack has both some loops but it's mostly instruments. They're mainly pretty high quality sampled instruments too (as opposed to synths).
Latest Song: End of Summer
Artist Page Send Message Jun 22, 2007 | 12:18 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
try the crystal synth it's a free synth plugin, you can click notes on in gb.
Latest Song: toast
Artist Page Send Message Jun 16, 2008 | 12:56 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi crescent!

You can find many free synth plug-ins plus additional audio plug-ins here:

> http://www.macmusic.org/software/softwares.php?lang=en

Check your Mac operation system for each plug-in before you install it.
Latest Song: Memories Of Europe
Artist Page Send Message Mar 05, 2010 | 7:39 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks for that link MMI - have you (or has anyone reading this) used any of the live looping software on that page? I am still looking for ways to do live looping which don't include me having to be on ustream! lol

How I love virtual instruments - as you said, the orchestra jam pack has some amazingly high end instruments in it.

Thanks, too, for the link you posted Ambraduna. Smile
Artist Page Send Message Mar 05, 2010 | 9:39 pm
Advertisement