New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Mastering and EQ

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I'm trying to come to grips with this stuff and it is incredibly difficult, complex and time consuming and so different from song to song. Situation: I've been using G'band '09 on my macbook, but am economically upgrading to actual monitors (M-Audio bx-5a), Presonus interfaces, and G'band '11. My problem has been mixing songs on laptop using headphones and it all sounds good. BUT, as I've played back tunes from helpful comments on my new monitors I've been somewhat shocked at the sounds, levels, and overall output that differentiates significantly from my headphone sound. These BX-5a monitors sound very low end heavy to me. When using my 31 band EQ where do most folk start considering rock as the general format? Do you mix and EQ each track before doing the master edit? Do people start EQing at the flat line 0db in the middle or lower everything to -20db or start at +20db? I guess I'm looking for tried and true techniques y'all use in beginning and working through this process. Where and how do you begin? This is sort of a redundant thread from my previous "EQ" thread, but I'm still wandering like Moses and I hope it doesn't take me 40 years to figure it out.
Latest Song: The Devil's Brew Collab
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 9:15 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-22-12 /USA!

@ BigJim:

Not as easy as chiropractor school was...eh, dawg?

Your delving into an area that is (2) part, but which actually concerns the same thing regarding equalization.

#1.: involves Eqing a mix.

#2.: involves Eqing a room using those BX 5a's.

I already sent you link studies about EQing a mix in your other post. So, I'll mostly discuss headsets and EQing a room for your monitors here.

Feel free to read my latest iComps blog about this very same subject (including the vid clip tutorial I show):

http://www.icompositions.com/artists/MH2010/entries.php?pid=9227

I do not recommend anyone using a regular pair of headsets to exclusively mix a single project a/o entire album. This is the most common mistake amateurs make when trying to build and run their own home studio set ups. It takes many years of experience to use a proper calibrated set of headphones for mixing in a professional studio environment. And even then, on a very limited basis.

Headphones, no matter how expensive, are deceptive sonic traps when mixing if used improperly. That's because things can sound great wearing them on your head. But, take them off and listen to the same mix on a good pair of studio monitors (like your BX 5a's) and it's a totally different story, my man.

Just like the one I am reading up here by you today.

So, I'm sorry. No one can teach you these things in a forum reply thread. And if they try to, I'll be reading it too. And will just laugh.

Read the article links I show in the iComps blog for starters.

Studio monitors are designed to amplify "sound pressure." Headphones (cans) are not. Cans are useful to double check for monitoring the overall "dynamic range" of a recording.

The monitors are used to bring out the "sound pressure" of those dynamics so that when people hear a recording play back, they also "feel it" with their bodies.

So, most likely, you are going to have to decide on cueing the room those monitors are located in using a variety of structures such as "bass traps" a/o "baffles." The article will show you how to inexpensively do that (and still get optimal results).

After you do that, retire the headphones you are using now as "backups" and consider investing in something like this:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/K240S/

Because once a room is structurally cued, you DON'T want to go back to using the older pair of headsets that you were before. Understand?

1. Fresh newly cued room.
2. New pair of properly calibrated studio headsets.

Welcome to the real Matrix, my friend.

Re,

MH~
Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 11:26 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Super informative. So, in a nutshell, a properly cued room with baffles/traps can enable you to mix effectively with your monitors to get the "real" sound you want, not the headphone sound that is whispering sweet nothings to your ears? You, sir are as handy as a pocket. It's a good day when you learn something so thanks!

ps: Do you mind if I start calling you "Morpheus"?
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 12:27 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-22-12 / USA!

Back @ BigJim:

Sure. You can call me, "Morpheus." But, just don't ask me to wear those goofy glasses of his!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRfI9EeLE5I

Regarding your overall remarks above, a properly cued room will enable you to mix more effectively with your monitors to get the "real" sound you want.

Whatever that "real sound" you want is dependent on you and your own ears. It would do all of us good to have a strong background in Mathematics and Acoustical Sound Engineering Design (in order to draw up our own specs). Unfortunately, not all of us can do that----and that's OK.

However, there are companies that specialize in cueing a room to studio standards. In fact, they'll give you free information on not only how to do it yourself, but at what cost to you. Either through them or somebody else.

Here's one in my area that specializes in this world-wide:

OSHEX Sound Products:

http://www.google.com/search?q=OSHEX%2FSound+Products%2F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Companies such as this abound for all sorts of requirements ranging from specs to building a house, installing plumbing to you name it.

They're all out there. Ya' just have to know where to find them.

BoOm!

MH~

Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 1:30 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
here are about 10 or more tutorials I have broadcast about these things. I can only hope you can find some help. Try finding video one and work your way forward. There isn't too much techno babble and I speak in plain terms.
Good Luck

http://www.livestream.com/atthecube
Latest Song: Ultimate UJB Collab
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 4:44 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-22-12 /

@ BigJim & Everyone:

Primacoustic London 12 review - Part 1 - Install (6:59):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rKDMdeizi4w

BoOm!

MH~
Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 5:10 pm

Reply with quoteReport
It's been said and I agree, mixing with good studio near field monitors is a must. Headphones, no matter how good they are, have a limited place in the mixing process -- they have a place, yes, though not a primary one.

Other than the technical information that has already been mentioned, I'd also like to add that when mixing a song, one needs to be aware of the general genre of that song and how similar songs are being mixed by other producers. In other words, what do other songs in that genre sound like? That will provide information as to what your target audience is used to hearing. Of course, that is a guide, not a "have to sound just like it" mandate.

In the mixing process, one must use reference speakers, too, like car systems, home stereos, computer speakers, earbuds, etc., to test one's mix for real world use. Even though we mix on near field monitors, most folks will be listening to your product on other kinds of playback systems, so we need to test our mix on those systems on-going during the mixing process. It's a mix-test-tweak the mix-test-tweak some more kind of a situation. After some experience and learning one's equipment, a mixing engineer begins to usually arrive at the best mix possible in fairly short time.

On the other hand, it can be possible that some artists aren't cut out to be engineers and/or producers. I'm not saying this is the case for you, BigJimSlade, for only you can know this for yourself. I'm just saying it is possible. I know many artists who either don't do well at the dials, or who just don't want to be bothered with that kind of knowledge or time use.

I commend you for wanting to see if you fit with producing your own tunes. It appears that you are on the right track.
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 6:44 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I've learned more about this process from this site in the few weeks I've been fortunate to torture you with my learning curve than at any other time in my home recording journey. Thanks to you all for bearing with my EQ growing pains. I'd send it out to the pro if I could afford it, but I've got to clean my own tighty-whitey's. Anyhow, it's a great learning experience. Thanks again.
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 8:54 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-22-12 / USA!

@ BigJim:

You're welcome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

BoOm!

MH~
Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 22, 2012 | 9:01 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
@MH2010 - Martin, I've often noticed your helpful posts in reply to queries, and I used one of your tips the other day (I can't remember now what it was for, but I know it worked), so a big thank you to you for taking the time out and being generous with your knowledge. Iqbal
Latest Song: The First Summer
Artist Page Send Message Feb 23, 2012 | 10:46 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-23-12 / USA!

@ ihussain & Everyone:

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is,
"What are you doing for others?"
(Martin Luther King, Jr.)~

>> The pleasure is all mine and you are all welcome.

http://www.primacoustic.com/index-rm-kits.htm

BoOm!

MH~
Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 23, 2012 | 12:07 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
My mixing failures in the past (really up to about a week or two ago) were due to strictly using my headphones as the true barometer of a mixmastered tune. I had no idea that what my cans told me was not the truth according to the "true" sound from a decent set of studio monitors. Stunning admission of knuckleheadedness, yes, but honestly I didn't know better. I will check any tunes that I have posted when I get home that need reworking unless they sound good through the monitors. The good news is now I know and have a foundation to redo and mix down with some semblance of awareness. Thanks for putting me at least facing the right direction.
Artist Page Send Message Feb 24, 2012 | 3:59 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
02-24-12 / USA!

Back @ BigJim:

http://www.icompositions.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=115559#115559

BoOm!

MH~
Cool
Artist Page Send Message Feb 24, 2012 | 4:18 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Another excellent, informative and quality batch of stuff. Check is in the mail!
Artist Page Send Message Feb 24, 2012 | 6:26 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I just bought a pair of Mackie monitors (5.25 inch woofers) and they are great. I used to have a pair of Carvin monitors which were pretty good, but the Mackies are much better. Good speakers always make a big difference.

I don't work for Mackie or Carvin.
Latest Song: Dirty Looks
Artist Page Send Message Feb 25, 2012 | 1:46 pm
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Advertisement