New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Did You Know...?

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I've been using garageband ever since it came out and i love it. i use it everyday and i feel like i know everything there is to know about the app. the other day i learned something new and it blew my mind!

if you have many points on the volume automation line and you want to raise the volume of the whole track you highlight all of the points on the line with your mouse and then click and drag any point up to raise the volume of the whole track. this is very simple but it some how eluded me up until this point. i would always go in and raise each point!? it was a pain in the butt!

it got me thinking: do you have a little known tip for garageband? something that maybe others might not have stumbled upon yet?

here's another: you can assign sounds to keys on your midi keyboard and make and save your own instruments. i recorded the sound(in soundstudio) of a hi-hat, snare and kick off of my own drum kit. each sample is a only a few seconds long. then in gb i opened a midi track and chose Sound Effect>Radio Sounds. i use this instrument because it only has an octave worth of sounds and the rest are dead keys. you then hit 'shift>apple>k' to open the onscreen keyboard. take your samples and drag them on to the desired key and let go. you will have assigned that sound to the key.

are these tips something everyone knows? am i just blowing hot air? please share secret gb knowledge!
Latest Song: Trust
Artist Page Send Message Feb 13, 2007 | 12:16 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Good forum idea.

Keep em' coming. I'll try and think of a few myself.
Latest Song: Chicken
Artist Page Send Message Feb 13, 2007 | 8:42 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
i knew the first one but i might try the second one with my guitar. thanks. i knew you could do that but wasnt sure how.
Latest Song: #Alaska
Artist Page Send Message Feb 13, 2007 | 8:43 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
ctrl + alt + G

turns all externally recorded audio (the yellow regions) into Real instrument recordings (the purple regions). allowing for tempo and transposition changes

by FAR the most useful tidbit i learned about garageband. i don't think it's in the help text either
Latest Song: HiatUs
Artist Page Send Message Feb 13, 2007 | 11:47 pm
Administrator

Reply with quoteReport
wow, keep this up people
Artist Page Send Message Feb 14, 2007 | 12:00 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
ctrl alt G that's huge! good one Aspersion!
Latest Song: Chicken
Artist Page Send Message Feb 14, 2007 | 6:36 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
thanks! i hope it will be as useful for you as it was for me.
Latest Song: HiatUs
Artist Page Send Message Feb 14, 2007 | 8:42 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Here is a complete list of keyboard shortcuts.

http://www.apple.com/support/garageband/shortcuts/

That drag and drop method for adding "samples" doesnt seem to work with my GB2. Is that only a feature in GB3?

I found this nice AU for creating a Instrument based on wav and aif samples I have since I could not get jimbit's method to work.

http://www.dontcrack.com/freeware/downloads.php/id/2188/software/JK-Ddram1/
Artist Page Send Message Feb 16, 2007 | 1:13 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
I could not get jimbits trick to work either. I drag the sample loops over the keyboard but it will NOT assign to the keyboard. He must have GB3?

so I downloaded the AU suggested by lcs... but it says to drag the files to PROTOOLS. How do you use it in GB?

It seems like assigning individual keys for loop samples in GB would be SO common... but i have looked and looked to find out how to do it and come up empty handed..

Can someone explain how to assign loops to my keyboard it in GB 2?

there must be a way without buying a sampler!
thnnx
Artist Page Send Message Apr 19, 2007 | 1:18 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
The jimbit trick does not work with GB 2 because it does not have the sound effect instrument. Personally, this is the first time I've heard this method. I do not have GB 3 on my computer though Sad I could not get ddram to work, does it need Tiger?
Latest Song: When We Ride
Artist Page Send Message Apr 19, 2007 | 2:01 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
pete wrote:
Good forum idea.

Keep em' coming. I'll try and think of a few myself.

Smile
Latest Song: Bang Wings
Artist Page Send Message Apr 20, 2007 | 4:14 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I didnt know.
Latest Song: Bang Wings
Artist Page Send Message Apr 20, 2007 | 4:16 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
when you click on the view / hide loop browser button the one that looks like an eye, it open up, with 66 other button inside the window, if you click on one of the button's and hold your mouse down on the button you can move that button to a different place (rearranging them all). all so if you hold the ctrl button down when you click on them you can change wot type of button it is,

in garageband 3
Latest Song: dances of the rising
Artist Page Send Message Apr 25, 2007 | 11:40 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
I believe that the above about rearranging the loop category buttons also works in GarageBand 2 (testing it now...)

Yes, it works in GarageBand 2.

The control click to change what type of button it is also works.

It appears you can select many other instruments to show only other than the standard Piano/Electric Piano/Organ/Sunths/Brass it offers.

Also (in GB2 and I believe GB3) if you go into the edit menu you can Join (command J) together multiple selected sections or Split (command T) a selected section at the playhead.
Artist Page Send Message Apr 25, 2007 | 4:56 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Use iTs to organize music automatically according to criteria you may set and customize via Smart Playlists.
Smile
Latest Song: Go Farther Together
Artist Page Send Message Apr 06, 2010 | 4:06 pm
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Advertisement