New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Can I make my vocals sound like an instrument?

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi everyone. I can't play any musical instruments well (except a bit of piano), but wondered if there's an application in Garageband where you can sing, and then convert the vocal line so that it sounds like a saxaphone, flute, violin, etc. I have so much music in my head, but I'm limited by my ability to play instruments.

Any suggestions would be appreciated-
Mary McGrath (aka-Grathy)

Or you can email me at:
grathy@aol.com Very Happy
Artist Page Send Message Jul 12, 2007 | 3:55 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I think you can. if you create a real instrument. then you can pick diffrent effects like the default is basic track. you can choose from drums and guitar and bass and regular stuff. that might help. and then you could allways add your own manual effects to get it just right.
Latest Song: #Alaska
Artist Page Send Message Jul 12, 2007 | 4:41 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
no
but a concept of program like this was in development once, where you could whistle as a midi controller.

I found the link on this site, it was a software competition for macs.... The idea behind it was amazing...
Artist Page Send Message Jul 12, 2007 | 5:29 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I have the same problem, Mary. Lots of music in my head and not so much ability to play instruments. The closest I come to what you're talking about is imitating brass instruments, but I do that with my voice, not with GB. I guess you could record something with your voice and then go back and pencil it into midi note for note. Once you have a midi file you can do what you want with it. Time-consuming but might be an interesting experiment.

-- Joanna
Artist Page Send Message Jul 12, 2007 | 5:39 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
The other day I set my vocal effects to an electric guitar sound. I used one of the Tone Heaven guitar plug-ins, but you can just add distortion and overdrive or whatever until your voice sounds like (sorta like) a screaming lead solo. I bet you could do that with other effects and come up with some cool instrument sounding stuff.
Latest Song: Brompton Cocktail
Artist Page Send Message Jul 13, 2007 | 2:08 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hi, not in Garageband unfortunately - but you can do it in Logic Pro. I've not yet tried it out (so please don't hold me to it!), but If you sing and record the melody into Logic, then use the Audio to Score function it produces a midi version of your singing. Then simply assign a sampled Saxophone to this channel and you're done!
Artist Page Send Message Jul 13, 2007 | 11:14 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
why don't you try copying the melody using a keyboard - the same notes as you hear in your head- onto the gband??try different synth sounds or keyboard sounds. - ac Very Happy
Latest Song: rhodes kill
Artist Page Send Message Jul 14, 2007 | 1:36 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I would have to say no, unless you could some how convert your voice into a MIDI file and then download it onto your computer.

Other than that, idk.
Artist Page Send Message Jul 14, 2007 | 9:25 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I haven't tried it, but I read that Kid Beyond makes music with his vox.
Latest Song: Loco Tabla
Artist Page Send Message Jul 16, 2007 | 3:18 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Yeah, Steve Jobs needs to invent this program and add it to Garageband, and then I'll be set!
mary
Artist Page Send Message Jul 27, 2007 | 5:52 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
P.S. there's a latency problem when I use the musical keyboard in trying to follow my vocal line as a musical instrument. That's part of the problem. It's fine until I actually start recording, and then the keys are just a bit late when I play them.
Artist Page Send Message Jul 28, 2007 | 9:50 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
grathy wrote:
P.S. there's a latency problem when I use the musical keyboard in trying to follow my vocal line as a musical instrument. That's part of the problem. It's fine until I actually start recording, and then the keys are just a bit late when I play them.

musical typing is seriously flawed, as you found out. get MIDIKeys, it's free and actually works.
Artist Page Send Message Jul 28, 2007 | 10:49 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks for the tip on MIDIKeys. Latency problem solved, although the keys are in different places. It's a start though!
Artist Page Send Message Jul 28, 2007 | 2:34 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Mary i need physically to spend some time with you
and we can make all sort of noises...lol
oops i mean musical sounds

i hv ways very unusual but effective to get the sounds
you desire

hopefully someday babe

your fan
yoh
Artist Page Send Message Jul 29, 2007 | 11:36 am