New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Guitar needs METAL sound

Listener

Reply with quoteReport
For recording guitar tracks,
are there alternate guitar sounds that I can download or something?

For example:
When I use "real instrument", I would select "guitars".
And I have a choice of
Barroom Lead
Bright Country
Eighties Pop
etc...

I am wanting to record more of a Death Metal sort of sound.
The "metal" guitar sound, that I have for Garageband is so painful to my hears. Too much gain on the high frequencies or something.
I admit, my amp is not the greatest (Marshall G30 RCD), but my guitar (Ibanez RG 321 MH) is a pretty solid beast.

Just list whatever you know works.

Listen to stuff like DEATH, BEHEMOTH, MORBID ANGEL, CARCASS, you can hear what sort of sound I am going for.
Artist Page Send Message May 20, 2008 | 7:54 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
i run into the same problem with my rock guitar sounds. i want to have it sound just like the rock music i listen to, but it never comes out that way, and there are only a couple settings similar to what i am looking for and there is a loud constant buzz making it hard to hear.
Latest Song: #Alaska
Artist Page Send Message May 20, 2008 | 10:20 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I don't think you'll find software that will do the job for you. Have you looked into using a POD and having a direct plug-in to your Mac? There are cables out there that do this, and the POD would give you a lot more sound options. I don't have a POD (I mike my amp instead), so others may know more about them than me.
Latest Song: Happy despite it all
Artist Page Send Message May 20, 2008 | 10:57 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
i use imic
Latest Song: #Alaska
Artist Page Send Message May 20, 2008 | 11:24 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I use a mic'd 80 watt Marshall or 150 watt Laney half-stack both mic's using a shure sm 57 (this is the industry standard for recording guitars the shure is) I've not found a way to make the GB amps sound good.. for software you'll need to invest in something like Amplitube, Izotope Trash.. or some other... but the only way to get the mic'd cabinet sound is with a mic'd cabinet (hides under a rock)

My guitar sound is either Metallica or Black Sabbath, either works well for your style.. look at Amplitube it's the cheapest option but it's not cheap
Latest Song: James Bond Theme
Artist Page Send Message May 20, 2008 | 11:32 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
could this possibly assist http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3se&L=1 ive used the demo version of the previous version on some of my tracks as i dont have an axe to grind.
Latest Song: came saw beat won
Artist Page Send Message May 21, 2008 | 4:42 am

Reply with quoteReport
Opinion is hotly divided (as you can probably tell) over whether it's possible to get anything resembling a good guitar tone from amp modelling (be it through software or a device such as a POD). My personal opinion is that enough pros are using modelling on real recordings now that it's certainly possible, although it might take some work.

Ultimately it comes down to your ears; try it out, and if you like what you hear, it's all good -- who cares where it comes from?

Focusing strictly on software for the time being, take a look at the following:

* Amplitube 2 (and the newly released Amplitube Metal)
* Guitar Rig 3
* Revalver Mk III

They all have demo versions available, as far as I know. Bear in mind that the presets for these things are almost invariably terrible -- you'll need to dial in your own tone for your own guitar, and possibly tweak it a lot with post-EQ as well, but like I said -- if it sounds good in the end, who cares how you got it?

-Eido
Latest Song: [LiesToChildren] Road Collab
Artist Page Send Message May 21, 2008 | 12:36 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
If you're interested in your guitar sounding similar to this, let me know and I'll update this post when I get home. I accomplished it using MIDI software instruments, although the amp/distortion/effects settings should work on real instruments. If you want to upgrade to Logic, I did this a couple of years ago, with a real guitar, plugged directly into my audio interface. I'm not much of a guitar player (to say the least), but I love heavy distortion and banging away.
My metal tastes are mostly drone bands like Earth and Sunn O))).
Latest Song: Tension
Artist Page Send Message May 21, 2008 | 2:12 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
You have to at least tune down your guitar strings. For exemple, tune your E string down to D, then, tune all the other 5 strings from the D strings. I don't hear particular effect from the Behemoth video I saw on youtube, just distortion/overdrive, except that they surelly tune down their guitar strings. You can also tune down the E string from E to B: that sounds very "heavy" too. An exemple of that is "Rusty Cage" from Soundgarden. And for the virtual amp that come with GB: sometimes, and most of the time, you should listen to your guitar sound with all other instruments you want in your final mix. You'll be surprise how alone it sounds so so, then, mixed, it sounds not too bad. Pitch transposer save time if you don't want to change all your strings setup. 2 half tone lower is the same as taking the E string down to D. BTW, I'm almost sure they use the particular amp, the same that Spinal Tap use in their rockumentary: all knobs can be set to... 11!

Oh, and put your guitar tone knob to 0.
Artist Page Send Message May 23, 2008 | 12:17 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Amplitube is great but costs, try KVR audio for a bunch of free gain au units. Try au multiband compressor too.
Artist Page Send Message May 24, 2008 | 1:35 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
remove the middle tone on the guitar then it is possible to do an ok metal sound in gb.
Latest Song: toast
Artist Page Send Message Jun 16, 2008 | 12:58 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Hmm, maybe, but be careful. Scooping all the mids from a distorted guitar can create a tone which sounds great in isolation but which vanishes in a mix.

-Eido
Latest Song: [LiesToChildren] Road Collab
Artist Page Send Message Jun 16, 2008 | 1:07 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
The "metal" guitar sound in BG is modeled after British gain, EX.. Marshall. Setting the treble around 4 and the presence around 9 should take some of the "sting" out of the high end, same as a real Marshall. I tend to use at least a 5 or more in the mid setting to make sure the guitar is intelligible in the mix. It doesn't sound as sweet as the mid scoop setting that so many love, but it works in the mix and doesn't give ear fatigue. Also you don't have to crank it as loud in the mix to be heard and it doesn't eat up freq's needed by other instruments so it has a "pocket". You can try using the American Gain, EX.. Mesa Boogie, and set the treble and presence around 7 for starting points. This model has different tonal characteristics that work for accentuating simple chords and one note lines and gives more up front-ness to the guitar but has a little less low-end definition. Another option is to double each track with each type of model then hard pan both left and re-record with both models and hard pan to the right. I love the metal sound in GB, but it only works in sparse arrangements. anything busier and the guitar loses definition with it's default settings used.
Artist Page Send Message Aug 20, 2008 | 12:46 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
never used the American gain... when I use software amps I typically use the British Gain...
One thing I'd like to recomment.. don't crank the gain.. too much gain is too overdriven and/or distorted.

I like the sound of my fingers on mahogany and mother-of-pearl.

Too much gain comes across like finger nails on a chalkboard. All high end, and no substance.

don't scoop all your mids out... the only band that scoops their mids out I've heard that scoops out the mids, and the mixes come out ok, is Metallica. the mid scoop works best only if you're mic'ing the Amp, and have a trained engineer to mix. (who's going to add some mids for definition in Post-production.)

(but don't take the mids past 5/dead middle Razz )
Latest Song: James Bond Theme
Artist Page Send Message Aug 20, 2008 | 6:11 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I did a British Gain setting for heavy rock/metal a few years back that I've used quite a bit, and it's posted here: http://www.carlaz.com/music/gb_presets.html

(Oh, it does make a difference, so I play an LP Std, usually tuned down to D with 10-52 strings -- currently very old strings that need changing!)

I've been messing around sorting out some other, slightly different tones, with both the British and American Gain simulators, and even have a American Gain setting one that I'm kind of liking: PreGrain 9.2, Low 6.7, Mid 3.6, Hi 3.0, Presence 4.3, Master 6.0, Output Lvl whatever works for you. Smile I like to stick this on one guitar track panned hard one way, and a British Gain setting of some kind on another panned over hard the other way.

Still, I feel like philosophically I'm a Marshall/Laney kind of guy (all my real amps were either Marshalls or Laneys), and I ought to be using British Gain settings. Smile Which makes no sense, since this is all software Wink but what the heck. I'm still kicking around some new British Gain settings to use ....

The problem I always run into is, of course, the classic one: what sounds great when you're just hearing the guitar doesn't usually sound great in the mix, so it's a very hit and miss process for me when trying to dial up good guitar tones on the GB amp sims.

I really wish there were a general archive for people to post settings!
Latest Song: Afterburner
Artist Page Send Message Aug 27, 2008 | 8:13 pm
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Advertisement