New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Forums » Lounge » Effective Criticism

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I too agree the last few post should be very helpful (not to say the others aren't). Great point Edio about the value of continuing the threads. I like Gary's full circle view as well and Arts veteran honest view of recognition. I do think Newbies can give constructed criticism though it might require a lil more tact Very Happy considering they may be expert in a field or just years of experience elsewhere. I do feel constructive criticisms should be an open door policy and expected even if not requested in return. And for those who get shocked when it does actually happen, relax it's not the end of the world it's just another's persons opinion. I think this place needs it all... pats on the back, encouragement, corrective criticism, truthfulness, and sugar coating. I'm still working on the latter Very Happy
Moses
Latest Song: You
Artist Page Send Message Feb 26, 2009 | 1:12 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
This site offers itself up freely to ALL and we should be allowed to FREELY express ourselves and critique others regardless of education. New musicians think "outside of the box" for the most part, and perhaps have something tangible to offer in their criticism that a more seasoned musician may have overlooked. I agree their is a fine line between "constructive" and "destructive" but the critics maturity is always exposed in the choice of their words. I would encourage anyone to think outside of the box when reading comments on their music, grab a box of tissue if need be, and move forward in life.
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 12:38 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Mello
You can't very well expect those of us in the beginning to early stages of learning to lead on an issue like this can you?
Show us what you mean please.

Evil or Very Mad Mad Very Happy
Latest Song: Can Last
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 1:27 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I am not making this statement in any personal way to anyone. But I completely despise the people or person who created this “Think outside the box” quote! This idea started as a corporate ideology to entice junior workers to be more creative or be more productive but instead has led to incompetency.

It is a confining statement within its self. In order to be “outside the box” You have to assume your already thinking “in the box” to get out. Oh the box is imaginary so it is no big deal? Wrong! I worked in management at a very large company that started to use this gibberish. And I left with no regrets. The company is struggling when it was once prosperous. I believe the human resource dept tried to get ahead of them selves with pure garbage and they have been digging them selves out ever since.

I will say and you can quote me on this “Get rid of the box” you will be better off!
Latest Song: The Completeness
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 3:49 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Lips Locked
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 4:21 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
"I will say and you can quote me on this “Get rid of the box” you will be better off! "

Um nuttin' fo nuttin' but what is the difference tween 'gettin' rid of the box and thinkin'out side of it again?

With all due respect,
Rob
Latest Song: Tales of Beatnik Lori Collab
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 4:31 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Lips Locked
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 4:51 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
rcandrews wrote:
"I will say and you can quote me on this “Get rid of the box” you will be better off! "

Um nuttin' fo nuttin' but what is the difference tween 'gettin' rid of the box and thinkin'out side of it again?

With all due respect,
Rob

It's kind of simple really, If you have a box, get rid of it! If you don't have a box like me then you don't need to create one! Wink
Perhaps I should have said: Get rid of the idea of “Think outside the box” But then it would not be as exciting. Especially if people believe that they have one.
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 6:39 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I reckon I get it but I am a simpleton so bare with me.

And please forgive me but if someone has never had said box how can they ever understand what it means to have been inside one?

And how can we go about understanding anything if we are not willing to at least give everything a go?

Musically I can tell you I once stepped in side a box and wrote a song titled "Long Time Comin"

Simple inside the box kinda song. Good, bad or crap nonetheless.

With all due respect,
Rob
Artist Page Send Message Mar 31, 2009 | 10:56 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
rcandrews wrote:
I reckon I get it but I am a simpleton so bare with me.

And please forgive me but if someone has never had said box how can they ever understand what it means to have been inside one?

And how can we go about understanding anything if we are not willing to at least give everything a go?

Musically I can tell you I once stepped in side a box and wrote a song titled "Long Time Comin"

Simple inside the box kinda song. Good, bad or crap nonetheless.

With all due respect,
Rob

I don’t know Rob but this stupid box thing has got me laughing. I do know I use real boxes when I need to store something but that’s about all. And to make things even more complicated I even think outside the cardboard boxes I have in my garage but never been in them. I even have a box within a box somewhere. Lips Locked
Artist Page Send Message Apr 01, 2009 | 1:17 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
HAHA!
Artist Page Send Message Apr 01, 2009 | 6:15 am
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Some people live in boxes...
Artist Page Send Message Apr 01, 2009 | 7:05 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
The very ineffable and ineluctable quality of a popular song is frequently and deservedly a mystery. I think you can nuts-and-bolts a song (less drum, more voice, lose the glockenspiel), but often we like songs for reasons we cannot name and do not know. So if someone says "I like it" that's a good thing no matter how simple it may seem to the quality assurance musician who has to talk about the doric eighth notes of Getty Lee or the purity found in the shifting harmonies of Neko Case. All of that doesn't matter. I listen critically to Madonna songs and I don't much care for them. If I listen to each individual piece. But taken as a whole, I love a lot of them. I watched the new Bond movie. This is a popular art. And while people love o hate on that, particularly if they can play six instruments but can't write a verse-chorus chart-topper, it can be frustrating.

Years ago Pat Metheny, the jazz artist, collaborated with David Bowie on a soundtrack single for the movie Falcom and the Snowman. Metheny talked down Bowie and how he'd made it a pop song and how it wasn't jazz anymore. I heard Metheny say a few years ago that the song made him enough money he could do his next three jazz albums and self-produce, one of which one a Grammy

And to be candid, the song is awesome. There's got to be a middle way. That's what albums used to do before singles culture took over. Artists could have four singles and six "art" tracks.
Latest Song: Deep Dark Night
Artist Page Send Message Apr 01, 2009 | 2:49 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Most people do not leave comments unless they are pretty well known on icomp and its often just, good ones nothing constructive,

I find rarely I get bad commetns thoe which is nice but if I didnt get any good ones then I probably did really crappy lol

thats how I know, but hey whatever dont see much point in posting music as much...

its more an upload center than anything
Latest Song: Gonna find me a woman
Artist Page Send Message Jun 06, 2009 | 10:04 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I have to do covers of other people's songs in order to get out of my BOX otherwise I will never realize I am in one!

Doing Collabs is a great way to get out of the box (or comfort zone). I love taking risks and the idea of falling flat on my face is an exhilarating one.

As far as critiquing someones' personal work I tend not to, unless specifically told by the person, even then I have to have that "special relationship" with them otherwise it goes into some EGO trip nonsense. I try to stay positive and always find good things to say or not say anything at all. Smile

Life is a stage and we are but actors on it. And if music be the food of love I say PLAY ON!

Peace,
Tony
Latest Song: UTIRNR
Artist Page Send Message Jun 06, 2009 | 10:32 am
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Advertisement