Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Instrument Tips Please

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Hey fellow GarageBand users. I have recently started doing music in GarageBand, but I need some help.
I want to create some techno/dance/house music. As a reference I listen to David Vendetta, David Guetta, Laurent Wolf etc.
In Laurent Wolf's "No Stress" he has a tune that I really like. I still am struggling with picking the right "Instruments" (only software instruments) and doing the Beat, but the most important right now is that I want to find a similar "Instrument" as used in "No Stress".
At approx. 1 min. of the song, the main "theme" starts. I want something like that (of course different melody), but the same instrument/mixture of instruments.
Does anyone know what would be suitable? I have tried many, but can't really find the right one/ones.
If you don't understand what I mean, please ask. Smile
Thanks in advance.
Latest Song: Dance With Me
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 11:17 am

Reply with quoteReport
Yeah, that's an interesting sound. I can't give you an instant solution, but I'm sure you can create something like that in GB. My advice is that you stop looking through instrument presets and start playing with instrument settings - attack, sustain, timbre and so on. You'll find a lot of flexibility in there to create your own sounds. And I would say that creating/finding the right sound is as difficult/important as learning to play a riff on a guitar or piano. Good luck!
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 11:36 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks a lot!
Trying stuff right now!
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 12:24 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
What ponkey say, makes perfect sense.
Still, if you dont know where to start, you might more specific help if you were able to describe what you where looking for.
I just heard the tune on UTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NwFkBrmuuM
At 1:00 a riff/theme is played by bass synth.
At 1:10 essentially the same riff is doubled by a flutish synth sound.
Is it any of these two you are wanting to create.?

People can help you where to start.
For the flutish synth sound you could have started with a flute, however the flute sounds in GB are not suitable. I think you can get usable sounds with a couple of the instrument generators. I tried Analog Basic, Hybrid Basic, and Hybrid Morph. I think you can get usable sounds from any of them. You'll need press the pencil icon to get the inspector /editor where you can change setteings. You need in all cases to set the attack and release short and the filter low/partly closed. The reverb will also be important. You may not need to have exactly the same sound?

As you get the hang of editing, you may want to divide the sound between two or more tracks, where one track only takes care of a subtle datail of the attack of note, say, and you may not be able to get the complete sound with one track.

Experiment and learn.
Latest Song: Bad Romance
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 2:25 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Thanks a lot!
I will try it out!
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 2:35 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Oh and another thing. In the same song, there is a 'thumping' beat. I tried to use a drum kit and modified it, but somehow couldn't get the sound right. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
Artist Page Send Message Jun 01, 2009 | 3:09 pm
Advertisement