Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Is there a way to combine 2 mono tracks into 1 stereo track?

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I'm recording acoustic guitars - using a Shure Sm81 in channel 1 of my USB MobilePre and direct out of my guitar into channel 2. I have more control with 2 tracks, but would like to condense tracks. I can go back and re-record into a stereo track, but the performances are spot-on and I'd like to keep them.

Any help is appreciated!

Tim
Latest Song: Warning Sign
Artist Page Send Message Nov 10, 2009 | 8:03 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
two tracks of the same recording:
one strong panned right, the other one left, add some miliseconds to one of them:
STEREO!
Artist Page Send Message Nov 10, 2009 | 8:21 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
When I record acoustic guitar this is what I do...

As you say, I record one channel with a mic into input 1 and then DI my semi-acoustic with a lead into input 2 and hit the record button.

When I am happy with my performances, I then create a third track and duplicate the microphone recorded track onto it, giving me two tracks of live mic recorded guitar and one track of DI'd guitar. I then pan the two live mic recorded tracks hard left and hard right and leave the DI'd guitar in the middle... Set your compressions and EQs as you want them, then solo the three guitar tracks and do a mix down like you would on any other song to a stereo file. Once the mix down is done, you should then be able to re-import that stereo file back into your DAW, delete the three mono guitar tracks and you should be left with just one track of stereo acoustic guitar... Voila!

I hope this helps!
Latest Song: This Ain't Home
Artist Page Send Message Nov 10, 2009 | 8:30 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I would recommend trying a program called Audacity. It is a free program with many, many options. You can record into it live and edit wav's on the fly. You can seperate and join tracks very simply in the interface to create stereo/mono tracks and adjust them if needed. Also there is an invert option - if you split a stereo track into 2 mono tracks, and invert one of the mono tracks, what results is a full stereo spread with a very interesting sound. Works great with guitars and vocals. Like I said it's free and reaaaally easy to use. Hope this helps Smile
Latest Song: Because I Am A Man
Artist Page Send Message Nov 10, 2009 | 12:20 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Record in mono ... export/bounce out as an AIF ... drag back into your audio window ... should show as a stereo track.
Latest Song: Seven Deadly Sins
Artist Page Send Message Nov 10, 2009 | 4:25 pm
Advertisement