Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Setting Start and End time in GB?

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
When i record I don't always start at the count in on measure 1. I may start later and count myself in. depending on how long it takes to get to the mike from the Mac. Then at the end it may take a few seconds to get back to the Mac to stop recording.
I understand that at the end I can trim back the track to the official end time. Buy what about the beginning? I don't really want to drag everything I record to the first position Measure 1. I just want to trim the recording to start at say 2.3 seconds and end at 2:23:5 like I can do in iTunes with my MP3.
Patrick
Latest Song: Squeeze Box (COVER)
Artist Page Send Message Apr 26, 2010 | 9:02 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Use the Loop function -- turn it on and have the start of the loop begin where you want the song to begin and end where you want the song to end. When you export, it bases the export on the loop.
Latest Song: Oh Dear Penelope
Artist Page Send Message Apr 26, 2010 | 12:46 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Holy Cow! What a simple a fix. I tried this and it works. I have been trimming the front off my tracks and dragging them to measure 1 for 4 years. Then I would move all the volume points because they didn't line up anymore. I don't know why I never thought of even looking up how to do this. It never occurred to me. *smacks head*
Latest Song: Liberty or Death 1775
Artist Page Send Message Apr 26, 2010 | 10:52 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Ha! Nuuute, doesn't GB have a selection that locks the automation lines (volume, pan, etc) to the track so it can be moved all as one thing? I believe I remember it having that feature...using Logic now and it sure does.

Though the loop solution works real well.
Artist Page Send Message Apr 26, 2010 | 11:45 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Depends on the version of GB he is using. That was added with GB 4 (iLife 09). I was having to move all my volume and pan points until late last year when I finally got the new Mac Mini and new iLife.

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials/CurvePoints.html

That shows how to move automation points in older GB versions.
Latest Song: The Dice Guys Theme
Artist Page Send Message Apr 27, 2010 | 1:22 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I do have V3 so I do have to move each tracks volume points. Really I dont because I got wise and add any fade in/outs after I have the song completed. I should just get a newer version of Garageband. And a new Mac... and a better mic.... and a haircut... and....
Latest Song: Liberty or Death 1775
Artist Page Send Message Apr 28, 2010 | 5:18 pm

Reply with quoteReport
Don't get the newer version, Nuuute. I did, and I make less now. No sense of achievement when it's all easy. Wink
Latest Song: The Dice Guys Theme
Artist Page Send Message Apr 29, 2010 | 12:31 am
Advertisement