Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Sampling in GB

Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I saw a youtube video where a guy broke down how to sample/chop in GB. In the video he chop what he wanted and dragged it in the musical keyboard. Does anyone know if that is possible to do in GB 2? I haven't been able to do in my older version of GB, Any help is very much apprecciated.
Latest Song: Loaded
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 3:13 pm

Reply with quoteReport
If by "sample" you mean using someone's copyrighted material without their permission, I want to remind you that it is against copyright law to do so and it is against iCompositions' Terms of Service (which you agreed to when you signed up) to upload a song which uses copyright material without permission.
Latest Song: Be Here Now (RTH)
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 3:54 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
i will not upload it. i just want to learn how to do it.
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 4:12 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Do you you have the Instrument Generator called 'Sound Effects' in GarageBand2 ?. It is in GB 4. I don't have GB2 anymore. I think you need the Sound Effects generator.

It is very cool. The classic 1st fun is to make your own mouth drum set . And in GB you can do it very quickly by recording your voice to a track and drag choppped up mouth hits to separate keys. Great fun!
Latest Song: 1-7(Apenas Um Jogo)
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 7:30 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/Tutorials/BuildingAnInstrument03.html
From GB3 and up.
Keys will only play what you drag on them.
You can edit the sound with some freeware as Audacity before.

maco.
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 8:26 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
thanks for the info. i will just upgrade to ilife 09 and get the lastest version of GB
Artist Page Send Message May 02, 2010 | 10:48 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
That video somewhat simplistic. Consider that the technique demonstrated is for a kick drum and not how to steal music.
Just on a side note that type of "sampling" works better on your own music because imported tracks don't respond well to substantial changes in pitch, key or BPM. Generally speaking if those type of details are kept in mind and you make adequate adustments to volume, peak, echo and ASD, then it may work and you may also occasionally come across some "happy accidents" as well.
As for GB and it's capabilities, we could talk forever about this.
Smile
Latest Song: 225i
Artist Page Send Message May 03, 2010 | 4:22 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Use the program "Audacity" to alter sound files in tempo and pitch.
Latest Song: Loading Screen
Artist Page Send Message May 03, 2010 | 9:33 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
wow, this is great news! I had no idea I could do that. (rubbing hands together with glee!)
Latest Song: Where Do You Go?
Artist Page Send Message Jun 02, 2010 | 4:29 am
Advertisement