New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next

Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Getting a great Horn Section sound???

Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Hi Everyone,
Any tricks in getting a good horn section sound?.... Im a huge Tower of Power fan, and funk and stuff.... and most keyboards ive used all have that same fake sound.....!
Any tricks would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks everyone!
I love this place!
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 6:10 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
East-West.....but you are going to have put out some $$$....

http://www.soundsonline.com/Brass-Woodwinds-c-4.html
Latest Song: Woebegone
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 6:38 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
east west... I agree. Don't settle for the fake synth horns, they take away from the music (Just my opinion)...
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 6:43 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
seems that a passable sax and woodwind sound is attainable thru synth patches, but brass is another story. trumpets are difficult to reproduce accurately. nothing, imo, sounds as cheesy as a synth horn section.
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 7:08 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
You could try asking some of our horn players here to collab such as Bass2x, Filmscore, reg_owens and I'm leaving out some others but we do have good horn players. As far as how to fake it... it's not that easy even with a good sample articulation and wind are the major things imo to pull it off, and remember a horn can not chord so it would take more than one to make harmony.
Latest Song: She's Gone
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 8:13 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I think the best i have is the GB classical jam pack. BUt i've played in orchestra and jazz groups, and play trombone and have played classical percussion, so I tend to edit the sounds using the EQ, release, filters and the like to attain what sounds more realistic.
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 8:14 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Create a track for each instrument instead of using a "Horn Section" patch. Experiment with the voices sometimes a french horn or a trombone works better than a trumpet in the mix. Change the timing of each track slightly so that notes don't start and finish at exactly the same time.
Artist Page Send Message Aug 11, 2010 | 8:44 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Thank for the info, I just looked you the Chris Hein horns... not sure if I understand it all, being a newbie..... I imagine it comes with that keyboard interface software, right?....
Sure is the most realistic horn section Ive heard so far.... not sure if my mac meets the requirements though.... Im running Mac OSX 10.4.11
1.83 GHZ Intel duo 2GB ram....
what do you guys think???
Thanks again
Artist Page Send Message Aug 12, 2010 | 12:46 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
You have enough power in that machine, there is the Symphony jam pack, but there is also another horn section in garage band that is a combo of Sax,trumpet, and I thing trombone, one key hit and you get the combo, not sure if it is part of a jam pack or an original patch that comes from GB when you buy it, now it is most effective when played as a back ground horn section, the more up front you make it the less good it sounds...

Now if you are into buying a sampler like Kontak you get some great horns that you can build a very stunning horn section from...

Cheers
Latest Song: Mystery
Artist Page Send Message Aug 12, 2010 | 1:10 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
A funk horn section is very different from a symphony orchestra horn section, but interestingly I can make them both sound cheesy by the same principles Smile but thats not the issue.

You can change a lot by the way you arrange/compose and perform your tracks.

I prefer as zincshed says use individual tracks for each (virtual) player in the section. It is preferable to me to play the phrases live to put expression in the playing. So you should have a software instrument that allows dynamical and timbral modulations by mod wheel, ribbon controllor, breath controller or other things your keyboard has. You may adjust these afterwards, but i find it easier to practize the phrases and find out how to apply modulation during the playing rather than just draw notes and modulations directly. Play each part, dont just copy by copy and paste, even if the players play in unison. You know that individual players would add to realism.

Now I have an ambivalent feeling about realism. Sometimes we get so hung up in listening for clues that it as a fake that we forget to enjoy the music. ( well I try to avoid being like that but is probably also guilty). In order to not let the listener in that situation I have deliberatly made the introduction of horns to sound such that it is should be obvious I am not trying to copy the horn section sound, I just use something having similar function and I use what I know does create something of the excitement of a horn section playing together. I am a trombone player myself and have played in many horn sections (not to brag, there are many just because I get fired lol:-).

So I have often preferred the synth horn section to a sample player horn section. I have used physical modeling sounds and prefer that to sample based instruments. For a good sample player based instruments I need a lot layers to change articulations. I am still just learning. But dont be afraid to experiment. An instrument may sound fine in the mix without being so good by itself. Sometimes I also mix synth sound and brass samples.
Latest Song: BOL BLues
Artist Page Send Message Aug 12, 2010 | 7:22 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Good stuff Xolv I see we think a like on this one I do almost the exact same things Wink nice posts from everyone.
Moses
Latest Song: She's Gone
Artist Page Send Message Aug 12, 2010 | 10:35 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Ben Boldt has some free sample packs available on his website:

http://www.d.umn.edu/~bold0070/projects/instruments/

It's really nice stuff and his French Horns sound particularly good.

As far as orchestral composing goes, I find mixing different types of french horns, like the Boldt French Horns and the Garageband/Logic French Horns together sound really nice. The Garageband/Logic French Horns add a nice general sound (make sure you add reverb) and then the Boldt French Horns add a nice, clear overtone.

Instrument doubling also works very well; flutes are typically doubled with french horns.

-Marc

http://marchumpert.com
Latest Song: ST Math - Theme Song
Artist Page Send Message Aug 12, 2010 | 5:07 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Yes Moses, I follow the same process as Xolv too! Of course I prefer working with real horns and have so many great horn player friends but they all want to be paid of course so I am forced to add them via keys.

The best way to set up a section that works for a tune is indeed to "play" each horn part separate. This involves putting your thinking cap on arranging the horn parts but that is half the fun of it. Then trying to get the feeling into the performance is cool.

For instance when I add a Bari sax part I think back to those great Bari horn parts of Motown fame and "scoop up" the low notes with expression on the keyboard to emulate the breathy excitement that happens there.
Latest Song: Not Enough Windows
Artist Page Send Message Aug 14, 2010 | 4:55 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
But yes there are GREAT horn players here like Bass2x, Filmscore, Pezlab and so many more I am forgetting too. They only charge you virtual dough for their parts here, though Bass2x has been known to ask for a shipment of all red M&M's and 30 year old Scotch.
Latest Song: Not Enough Windows
Artist Page Send Message Aug 14, 2010 | 4:57 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
I so rarely use horns I am to lazy to build them as separate tracks Smile but then again I do not no good from bad when it comes to horns, i always bury them lol...
Latest Song: Mystery
Artist Page Send Message Aug 15, 2010 | 1:48 am
New Topic  •  Reply to Topic
Page: 1, 2  Next
Advertisement