Forums » GarageBand Tips and Tricks » Background noise reduction

Listener

Reply with quoteReport
I made my first audio of just me talking. I want it to be a voice over to a keynote.

I used a logitech headphone set. It sounds fine but just not so stereo or nice- you can hear background tone when watching the video.

Is there anyway to reduce it out all together?

Thank you
Artist Page Send Message Mar 05, 2013 | 1:50 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
you can try adjusting the Gate a bit but that doesn't always give you what you're looking for.
Using certain types of mics makes a difference. A condenser style mic will pick up everything around you while a dynamic mic will focus more on what's close or in front of it.

common usages, Condeser = studio. Dynamic = stage.

The best, but not always possible, solution is to record in a room or place that is quite to begin with.

If you provide as many details as you can as to how you are recording, what software, mic, etc... that will help get the answer your looking for.

Many folks should jump on this, hopefully, and you'll get schooled on best practice and/or opinions.

Good luck!
Latest Song: Fog Dogs
Artist Page Send Message Mar 05, 2013 | 2:09 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
If the above dont cut it, my first thing to do is go into the EQ and you can manually select "Reduce 'S'" and this helps. Then you can manually adjust it till its just right.
Latest Song: Blue (Olympian Remix)
Artist Page Send Message Mar 05, 2013 | 6:03 pm
Listener

Reply with quoteReport
Were you able to reduce it as you wanted?
Artist Page Send Message Jun 08, 2013 | 2:20 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Audacity has a "Noise Removal" feature. If you load the audio into that program, select an area of the track where there's no talking (so that only the background noise is present), then use the "Noise Removal" command under the "Effect" menu, it will create a sample of the unwanted sound(s), that you can then eliminate by re-selecting the portion of the audio you want to fix (could be the whole track), and then re-accessing the "Noise Removal" command.

On the second pass, you use the settings provided to strip that sample's information from the unruly recording. It won't get rid of all the background noise (at least, not without eating into the stuff you want to keep) -- but it will get a whole lot of it. And what remains may be unnoticeable to most listeners.
Latest Song: The Electric General
Artist Page Send Message Jun 08, 2013 | 5:54 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Everyone's suggestions will help.
I usually roll of the low end up to 60 hertz with a filter or an EQ.
I would check out de-noisers in google and see what's around for free. There should be many for both Mac and PC.
Good luck and happy recording. Smile

Tom
Artist Page Send Message Jun 12, 2013 | 9:50 am
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
More great tips. Thanks Tom.
Latest Song: Can Last
Artist Page Send Message Jun 16, 2013 | 2:16 pm
Artist

Reply with quoteReport
Since you mention you want to create a 'keynote' I assume you are on a Mac? You may record directly into Keynote? but I suggest you rather record into Garage Band, Then you can use all the advice above.
Latest Song: Booze Cruise
Artist Page Send Message Jun 16, 2013 | 6:08 pm
Advertisement